Friday, 25 November 2011

The Birth of a Business: Ancient Winds Naturals

So I haven't blogged in quite a while, for a couple of reasons. For one, my jewelry business is going crazy right now. This is my first Christmas season making jewelry and my items are perfect for that sentimental special something for moms, dads, grandmas and even teenagers. I am so very grateful for all of the support I've received (locally and around the world). It is truly gratifying.




Second, in the midst of the chaos surrounding the season, I have been busy preparing to launch a new business, with my good friend, Raquel, as well. This year, my new year's resolution was to make over my body products with the intent to use products containing only edible oils and butters and other natural ingredients.

(This is the first new year's resolution I've actually followed through on!)

However, I found that the products I was trying either didn't work that well, smelled weird, or contained some natural ingredients, but also some not-so-natural ingredients too. It just wasn't good enough for me.

When I couldn't find what I wanted for a diaper salve for my son, I decided I would learn how to make it myself. So I started researching and experimenting in my kitchen. Before long, I had created something that felt amazing, smelled amazing and, most of all, actually worked!! And not just for my baby's bum, but for his whole body, and mine and all of our cuts, scrapes and more! I saw a business opportunity present itself and haven't looked back.

It has been a lot of months perfecting recipes, designing our logo and labels, creating an image and putting the many pieces of the puzzle together. I already knew starting a business was not for the faint of heart, so I was ready for the challenge. Or so I thought! At one point, I knew I needed help, so I recruited a business partner, who is incredible and we're now off and running.

                                                  Getting ready for our first tradeshow


So here's the deal:

  • We care as much about what we put on our bodies as what we put in them. Our products contain only 100% natural ingredients. Nothing else.


  • In an effort to minimize our carbon footprint, we create our products to include as few ingredients as possible while still maintaining effectiveness. This means fewer fossils fuels required to harvest, process and ship ingredients.

  • Our ingredients and packaging are all purchased from Canadian suppliers, so in supporting our businesses, you are supporting other Canadian businesses as well. We also use only local raw beeswax that we filter ourselves and we package our products in reusable tins and pouches. We firmly believe that we all need to use fewer products with fewer ingredients for the health of our bodies and our planet and we strive to create a product line that can help achieve that.



For more information and to find out more about what we're all about, check out our Facebook page.





To purchase Ancient Winds Naturals Coconut All Purpose Salve online, click here:
http://www.etsy.com/people/AncientWindsNaturals
or head to our Facebook page to find a retailer near you:
http://www.facebook.com/AncientWindsNaturals
If we don't have a retailer where you live, please message us and tell us what cities/stores you would like to see our products in!


Photo credit: Raquel Tokarchuk, editing by Holly Marquette

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...