Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Gymnurstics: 7 Reasons I Breastfeed My Toddler



     1.   Convenience. The longer we breastfeed, the easier it gets. Unlike nursing my son as a newborn, he is now busy and distracted so nursing sessions are more few and far between. Not to mention, fast! The older he gets, the more efficient he is at nursing. And, of course, the convenience factor of breastfeeding remains: no matter where we go, I always have a quick, nutritious, thirst quenching snack on hand for my child!

2.      Connection. It is the perfect way to take a break in our busy day (morning, evening or night) to stop what we're both doing and really connect with each other. Nothing else matters in that moment but nourishing his little body and soul with my nutritious milk and loving arms.

3.      Health. There is no denying it, breastfeeding is just plain healthy. The health benefits carry on long past infancy! Also, when he’s teething or feeling under the weather, sometimes breastfeeding is the only thing he wants to do.



4.      The ultimate mothering tool! From doctor’s appointments to airplane rides, nothing soothes or settles my toddler better than breastfeeding. I even nursed him during his first haircut! It is perfect for the moments when I need another minute or two on the phone and he wants my attention. I just nurse him for a few minutes and he’s good to go!

5.      Confidence. My ability to calm and nurture my toddler through breastfeeding has given me confidence that I never knew before. We are deeply bonded through our breastfeeding relationship and we both derive great benefits from it. And, contrary to popular belief, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

6.      Instinct. The further on I go on my mothering journey, the more I am learning to listen to my instincts and trust them. I know in my heart nature intends for us to breastfeed, and to do so until my son’s need for it diminishes.

7.      Pure love. Those little baby blues looking up at me while my son nurses make me melt every time. I can see how much he loves that milk and how much that skin to skin contact brings him comfort. And nothing beats the moments when he breaks his latch because he can’t help smiling. These are times I will always cherish and this is a bond that will keep us connected long after he has weaned.


Are you nursing or have you nursed a toddler? I would love to hear why you love(d) nursing a toddler! If you would like to be included in my upcoming gallery of nursing moms & babies, please send your photos to: ancientwinds1@gmail.com


With gratitude,
Lori

Photo credit: McBaby Photos http://www.mcbabyphotos.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Your 7 reasons why....totally speak how i feel about my son and I. We started of rough in the beginning too,nipple shield and all.But I must say it was definitely a great tool in keeping us nursing...i might have given up w/o it. My son is 16mths now and still loves to nurse as do I. I see it in such a different light as compared to premotherhood...it holds such meaning to both baby and mom...He still wakes at night next to me and my hubby to nurse and how I luv to watch him in the dark of night and hold his little hand while he fades away into sleep again......for one day he will no longer need this and oh will I miss it!
 
I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with breastfeeding your toddler and your 7 reasons are spot on. I breastfed my son until he was 2 1/2 years old. I had a lot of negative comments from family members and one person told me I was flat out disgusting for it. I'm glad there are moms out there that feel the same as I do, there is nothing better than the breast!
 

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...